Packing List

Many people have asked me what kind of gear I needed for this trip to the High Arctic.

Packing List from the National Geographic Explorer:
A heavy jacket/parka
A waterproof rain jacket
Waterproof pants
Waterproof ski mittens or gloves
Polypropylene gloves to wear as liners
Wool or fleece ski cap
Neck gaiter
One pair of fully waterproof knee-high rubber boots with sturdy, high traction soles
Comfortable walking shoes
One full set of thermal or silk long underwear
3-4 pairs of warm, sturdy, tall wool socks
Silk or polypropylene sock liners
2-3 pairs of warm, casual trousers to wear under waterproof pants; wool and fleece reommended
Fleeces, sweaters and other layered clothing
Bathing suit
1-2 pairs of UV sunglasses
Personal toiletries, including sunblock, lotion, and lipbalm
Camera, memory cards, battery charger
Binoculars: 7 x 35, 8 x 40, or 10 x 40
A waterproof rucksack
Travel alarm clock

Here's my big red Arctic parka:

Some days the weather was too warm for Big Red, so I would layer with fleeces and down parkas under my windproof raincoat.

Bogs were recommended highly as footwear. These are the classic style and are completely water-proof and rated for up to -30 below. I found them to be fine for hiking if I wore thick socks.


Here are a variety of bottoms that I mixed and matched: Uniqlo heatech leggings, fleece pants, and an outer waterproof layer.


To keep my extremities warm, I had very thick socks and a double pair of gloves. I was rarely without my fleece-lined wool hat and neck gaiter.


No comments:

Post a Comment